What Is an Oral Emergency?
posted: Oct 15, 2018.
An oral emergency is a rapid or instant accident caused to your mouth that results in long-term damage if it is not dealt with immediately. Although many oral emergencies are not life-threatening, it is still extremely important to seek out treatment as soon as possible.
What constitutes an oral emergency? Here are a few typical scenarios to watch out for:
– Stuck Objects: Sometimes objects get stuck in your mouth, such as food particles between teeth. Try using specialized cleaners to remove the object, including dental floss or a water flosser. Never use a sharp or pointed tool to try and remove the object.
– Bad Bites: If you bite your tongue and lip, excessive bleeding can occur. You should wash out your wound and your mouth to ensure it is clean, and then apply gauze until the bleeding stops. In some cases, stitches may be required.
– Lost Tooth: Teeth can be knocked out in a variety of ways. If you should lose a tooth, it may be possible to save it for re-insertion later. Place the tooth in a tooth-saving product if available, such as Save-A-Tooth. If not available, place it in milk and keep it wet until you can visit your dentist to reset it back in your mouth.
– Cracked Tooth: If you crack a tooth, excessive bleeding may occur. You should wash out your wound and your mouth to ensure it is clean, and then apply gauze until the bleeding stops.
– Lost Crown or Filling: A lost filling should be covered with chewing gum or dental cement. A tooth that has lost a dental crown should be covered with a cotton swab dabbed in clove oil. Seek treatment as soon as possible.
If you need a diagnosis or treatment, for an oral accident, please contact Mill Valley Dental to book an appointment with Dr. Sohrab Saghezchi and our team at our dentist office in Mill Valley, California. Call us at 415-578-5879. Let us help you achieve a healthy smile!