As you may already know, it is extremely important to keep up on oral hygiene. But what you may not know is that it is especially important to keep up on oral hygiene when you are pregnant. If you do not, many major dental problems can occur, like pregnancy gingivitis, tooth decay, and pregnancy tumors. So, if you would like to prevent these dental issues, please do the following things on a regular basis:
· Brush: Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day—every morning and every night. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste as you do so and do your best to brush for a total of two minutes each time.
· Floss: Floss your smile at least once a day with a flossing product of your choice. Flossing will help you clean the hard-to-reach areas of your smile that your toothbrush could not reach. It can also help prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental issues.
· Rinse: Rinse your mouth with antibacterial mouthwash daily to stop plaque growth. This will help you prevent pregnancy gingivitis—all you need to do is follow the instructions on the bottle.
· Have a balanced diet: Have a balanced diet each day and do your best to eat the proper amount of fruits and vegetables. Also, please refrain from snacking all day. This will help you keep your teeth in tip-top shape.
· Visit your dentist: Visit your dentist every six months for a professional cleaning and exam. This will help you properly clean your smile as well as completely prevent pregnancy gingivitis. When you come into our office, please remember to tell us that you are pregnant.
· Control the oral acid: If you suffer from morning sickness, your teeth are constantly exposed to oral acid, which is dangerous because the acid could easily erode your teeth. So, try rinsing your mouth with a teaspoon of baking soda and water to keep the acid from destroying your smile.
For more information about caring for your smile during pregnancy, call Southern Marin Dental at 415-578-5879 today and talk to a member of our friendly dental team. We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sohrab Saghezchi if you have any dental issues that need treatment. We are here to help you!